During the academic year of 2014-2015, the state of California adopted the Common Core Standards (CCSS) for its schools. Consequently, California schools will base all instructions and curriculums on the CCSS, and will no longer be assessing student progress through the STAR test, but through a new assessment called the Smarter Balance Assessment.
At Kwan Academy, our goal is to enhance your child’s education and learning experience by equipping them with the necessary skills for tackling these new standards, and strengthening them for the changes in the upcoming academic year.
We have designed cirruculums that meet or exceed the rigors of the CCSS. Our program will focus on the following areas:
· High-Level Text Based Writing and Analysis
· Comprehension of High-Level Complexity
· Deeper Understanding and Analysis of Mathematical Concepts and Procedures (i.e. breaking down problems and being able explaining all steps and thought process, instead of just produce numbers)
Students will work daily on:
· Learning new academic vocabulary words
· Revising and editing text
· Reading, analyzing, and comprehending informational text
· Responding to informational text in writing multi-paragraph responses
· Writing non-fictional text
· Solving daily mathematical problems based on the new CCSS and being able to verbally explain all processes using the adequate academic language
Weekly enrichment classes
Tuition & Fees: